Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 00:00:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 16:36 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> It has everything to do with legalities, as the source code for the
> encoders/decoders is available.

Fair point. However the precise nature of the difference between Fedora
and Ubuntu in legal terms is not entirely clear to me. On both systems
the user can install propietary codecs, and on both systems there are
clear warnings that this is "at your own risk" and the proprietary stuff
is not installed by default. The practical difference from the user's
point of view is that Ubuntu tells you how to get it and Fedora doesn't
(the fact that Ubuntu actually hosts some of it is to my mind a red
herring; they could just as easily provide pointers to 3rd-party sites
if they were worried about keeping legal distance, so apparently they
aren't worried about it).

It may also be relevant that Red Hat is a US company, and Canonical
isn't, and that US law allows software patents, and many other countries
don't (yet), but IANAL of course.

poc