Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 01:41:51 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Steve Lindemann <steve at marmot.org> wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:
>> > Top posting is universally despised among Linux and Usenet users for
>> > years and doing so is the mark of a newbie user who comes from a
>> > Windows-centric background, where such things are condoned like having
>> > drive letters instead of names.
>>
>>  I've been trying to explain to one of my windoze centric co-workers why
>> top posting is not appropriate and couldn't find the right words.  Thank
>> you! List ettiquete has always been a contentious issue, right from the
>> beginning when we etched our missives using rock tablets (I vaguely
>> remember it 8^) but I've always read from left to right and top to bottom
>> and it's hard, for me anyway, to go at it backwards.
>
>For whatever reason, outlook users seem handicapped when it comes to
>bottom posting. I have bottom posted a few times in replies to them
>and they have simply not seen the message

I don't see that as your fault Arther, unless judicious snippage might have
been done in order to get your reply on the first screen.  OTOH we have NDI
what screen resolution the OP may be using.  Sometimes I think about that but
mostly no.  And I occasionally will top post a line that says 'see below' if
I'm in a good mood.

The whole point of the anti-top post thing pertains to being able to read the
conversation in the order as it took place.  To me, its a waste of time to
try and re-order a conversation in order to put everything in context, and I
suspect many do as I do, unless the top poster can make sense, I just keep on
hitting the + key to continue on to the next message.  If I miss a question
that I feel qualified to answer because that original question is now 3
screens below mine, I am not inclined to worry about it too much as either
the OP has, with all the messages posted in reply that have spaced his down
into the basement, has either already gotten his answer, or because he is a
top reader, has missed the one reply that fixes his problem, well...

The list rules for that should be followed, and followed without 40kb of
belly-aching IMO.  Your basic example of 'when in Rome, do as Romans do'...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)