F9 - Network interface disabled after each reboot

Teo Fonrouge fedora-list at windtelsoft.com
Fri Apr 25 09:42:46 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008 04:29:20 am Christopher Mocock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a strange problem with Fedora 9 Preview. At first I couldn't
> get my network port to be configured by Network Manager. There are no
> details of it in the NetworkManager configuration screens and I can't
> "Add" it as all the buttons are greyed out.
>
> Frustrated by the inability to do anything with NM, I decided instead to
> use system-config-network. The NIC is listed there so I configured it,
> made sure to check the "start interface on boot" button. Unticked the
> box which lets NetworkManager control the interface.
>
> Now when I activate the interface in system-config-network, it works
> fine, but every time I reboot it's disabled again.
>
> I've tried unchecking the "Enable Networking" button in NetworkManager
> but that makes no difference - and annoyingly is always checked again
> after a reboot.
>
> System-wise, I started with the F9 Preview and have done a couple of yum
> updates so I'm up-to-date. The onboard NIC is an Intel 82562EZ 10/100
> (e100 module).
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening? Is Network Manager likely to be
> the culprit, and if so, is it fairly safe to uninstall?

You need to enable the "network" service in the runlevels 3 & 5, this can be
done with the following command in a root session:

# chkconfig network on

after this you can check that the service will start on a reboot with:

# chkconfig --list network

at least, the runlevels 3 & 5 will be as "on"

best regards

Teo Fonrouge