openldap + kmail

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Apr 25 21:40:49 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>> > I honestly don't know what a standard schema is...I know what schema's
>> > I tend to set up but in reality, it really doesn't matter as long as
>> > the schema you set up makes sense to you.

As far as I could see - I haven't experimented with it much -
phpLDAPadmin creates half-a-dozen top-level entries,
and if you try to create an entry under any of them
you have to choose one of a number of offered schemas.
That is what I meant by a "standard" schema.

I do find the language of LDAP unattractive.
Assuming the idea is to create a tree-like structure
(like the Unix file-system)
the way of expressing it seems strange.
But I'm getting the book by Gerald Carter you mention,
and maybe that will change my mind.