DI-LB604 load balancing router

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Apr 26 01:03:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:36:54 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> I now have my load balancing router up and running on two modems, one cable
> modem and one DSL.   So far, it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be
> doing.

Well, that was a short-lived joy.

I had this Dliink DI-LB604 up and running and it was working just great,
distributing the load between the two Internet services.  In fact, it was
working so well that I wrote a how-to article about it that I intended to post
on my website., including some graphics of the various setup screens and the
like.

Ironically, that's when I got bit.  Hard.

I use rsync to transfer files to my webserver.  I completed the article and
started uploading it and got about halfway through the graphics and blammo!
The router locked up.  After power-cycling the router I tried it again and it
locked up again at the same point.

Further experimentation showed that I can reliably lock up the router doing a
scp copy of a file over about 500k to any outside server.  In fact, it reliably
craps out at the same point pretty much every time.

Oddly enough, it works great with everything else, including logging into a
remote system via ssh.  In fact, it reliably works when I run a remote VNC
session over SSH.  It's just a file copy from here to there that locks it up.

I called Dlink tech support and the guy there had never heard of such a
problem.  Ultimately, after trying several things (reduce MTU, disable and
physically unplug the second modem, move the modem from WAN1 to WAN2) he said
there's nothing that he can do to help me and I should return the router to
where I purchased it.  He will pass the problem report along to the engineering
department.

So.... any recommendations for a good load balancing router that I could get
instead of this one?