Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 23:06:25 UTC 2008

--- Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:08:00 -0700 (PDT)
> Paul Shaffer <ace_wizard at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > If Redhat's legal staff spent half the time
> finding ways to make things doable instead of
> playing the "just say no" game, most of these
> problems we speak of would become administrivia
> instead of broken systems.
>
> In my experience (and I work with these people) they
> spend their time
> trying to find ways to make things doable, but
> sometimes the US legal
> system has its head so far up its backside it can
> suck its teeth.
>
> The people who can change that are not a few lawyers
> - it takes -the
> people- to do so.

Yes, it takes the people to do so.  But how many are
going to do something about it.  If for instance the
people decide to move Fedora to outside the US to
another country, will they then open up and include
everything under the sun?  Are all the reasons behind
not including *this or that* because Fedora is run
from inside the US and because of that cannot include
the stuff?

It makes me wonder as well, why other distros with
origin in the US include some of the stuff that many
complain about, ie., Slackware, PCLinuxOS, etc.  They
include some of the stuff that is non free.  The
Debians, *buntus and other linuxes also include some
of the stuff.  I wonder why they include it, it is the
same legal system after all.  Why can they do it and
not Fedora?

I hear many arguments against the US, and that it is a
free country, but no country in the world is perfect.
All forms of government have their flaws.

If Fedora is based here in the U.S, and say it moved
outside US territory, how will that change if any the
circumstances surrounding the inclusion of certain
software?

BTW,
The GPL was created where, is it a universal document
that has jurisdiction across all countries across the
world or only on the US?

I know about the philosophy behind Fedora, but many
said that when it was unleashed onto the community.
The community would then take care of the stuff that
was prohibited to be released to the users.  That has
not happened.  It is still under the same restrictions
as it was before.

The U.S legal system is at fault.  Can anyone do
anything about it?

If they tried to do something, lobbyists and big
business/corporations would stop it.  Lost case,

Either way we argue for/against we cannot do anything
to change the status quo.  We at least have the power
to do what we need to do to make our machines run the
way we want them to do and we have choices.  Thanks to
God, they have not restricted the use of Linux in the
USA.

I remember that there were some people trying to put
policeware onto our computers and that running linux
would be illegal.

http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

http://www.eff.org/

Now the U.S laws are so bad that the patriot act
violates some Bills in the Bill of Rights.  Now police
can search you even if they do not have a search
warrant.  You are correct Mr. Cox there is not much we
can do against all of this.

Regards,

Antonio