Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Paul Shaffer ace_wizard at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 15:20:57 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 4/26/08, Francis Earl <lunitik at gmail.com> wrote:

>Why should they pay around $15 per user for software the user didn't pay for, just so they can play codecs that aren't relevant to the people making them their money?

It's called "mindshare."  And since when do you define relevance for Redhat's customers?  Sounds rather presumptuous, to me.  You mention the mindshare concept later, but don't seem to understand it works both ways.  And it's a huge advantage in a competitive marketplace.

>There are even legal ways to get codecs (fluendo) and other equally easy ways.

What's easy to you is not easy for the vast majority of users.  Computer use for virtually everything these days is taken for granted.  Computer knowledge about how they work should not be.

>Today, Linux is big business, and is really making strides even on the home desktop.

Ya think?  Ok "strides" compared to what - the over 90% share M$ enjoys?  Methinks we got alot more stridin' to do.

>...makes an effort to ensure the industry can't rape users anymore.

I suppose Redhat more prefers neglect to rape.  Or maybe passive coercion.  But this approach is doomed to failure as we've already seen by Ubuntu's success.  Redhat's ability to ensure anything in this industry is doubtful and becoming less a factor all the time as long as they and people like you decry the "ignorant" society and people who can't add a repo.  Fedora has become a niche oddity in the Linux distro field because they view the vast majority of potential users as scapegoats for some holier than thou OS delusion.