Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 19:44:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au> wrote:

>  On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:44 -0400, max wrote:
>  > Da Rock wrote:
>  > > On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 11:39 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>  > >> Alastair Neil wrote:
>  > >>>
>  > >>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com
>  > >>> <mailto:wayward4now at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  > >>>
>  > >>>     On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 13:05 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
>  > >>>      > That article ENTIRELY got it wrong. All RedHat said was they won't be
>  > >>>      > pushing Linux on the consumer desktop for some time. They make their
>  > >>>      > money from servers, and they are a company, so it's not in their best
>  > >>>      > interest to have a product they aren't profiting from.
>  > >>>
>  > >>>     OTOH, as I've said for years, desktops beget servers. Who in their right
>  > >>>     mind would have ever thought that Windows would become a choice as a
>  > >>>     server platform?? The Windows3.1 users got used to the desktop and it
>  > >>>     rolled from there. Disregard the desktops of college entry level users,
>  > >>>     and they'll migrate with their favorite platform and comfort level to
>  > >>>     using it to admin their future server needs. What's not to understand in
>  > >>>     this? RedHat could very well be blowing their lead and not seeing it
>  > >>>     until too late in the game to recover.
>  > >>>
>  > >>>     We (RH) used to have college programs all over the place ...usually
>  > >>>     promoted as install fests at Universities. I haven't heard of one in the
>  > >>>     press for years now. Servers are where the money is, no doubt. But, it
>  > >>>     is better IMHO to have the future admins loyalty through the user
>  > >>>     desktop by catering to them. I spent years in Marketing. I learned to
>  > >>>     never EVER disregard the little guy. He might become the next purchasing
>  > >>>     agent and/or decision maker. My two cents, Ric
>  > >>>
>  > >>>
>  > >>> An where has it got Microsoft? 20 years and countless billions invested
>  > >>> in marketing and they still manage only 30% of the server market.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> True, Novel lost out to WinNT in part because users got used to the
>  > >>> Windows interface and wanted a similar experience for managing their
>  > >>> servers.  I refuse to believe that there is such a  gulf between Ubuntu
>  > >>> and RHEL in functionality that users would have the same visceral
>  > >>> reaction and defect in droves from RH to Ubuntu - because they love
>  > >>> brown backgrounds on their Gnome desktops.  Red Hat has focused its
>  > >>> desktop efforts on crafting a distribution that is best in class for
>  > >>> administering servers, just as SUSE is crafting a business productivity
>  > >>> centric desktop distribution with an emphasis on Windows
> [...]
Greater share of platforms? why? If you define success by marketshare
then M$ won long ago. Everyone else might as well curl up in a corner
with their knees to their chest and blubber. You say you want to
*take* market share but what ever for?what will you do with the
marketshare once you have it?Spend all your time wondering how to keep
people from jumping ship that's what.

Max