Eth0 not active at startup

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Apr 28 20:25:45 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 15:52 +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
>> Bob Latham wrote:
>>> I'm having problems trying to set a static IP address on eth0. I can get
>>> it to work but it has to be "activated" by hand each time I start the
>>> machine. There is an option "Activate device when computer starts" but
>>> although ticked, it appears to do nothing.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had the same problem the other day and a helpful poster informed me
>> that I had to run:
>>
>> chkconfig network on
>>
>> from a terminal (as root I believe). This causes the network service to
>> be started on each boot. Why it is disabled by default I don't know. I
>> was using Fedora 9 so I'm guessing you are too.
>
> Because in F9 the network is managed by Network Manager (and Network
> Manager Dispatcher) which is a different set of scripts. Presumably the
> OP's NM config wasn't set up to manage the eth0 interface.
>
> If you click on the System->Administration->Services menu in Gnome,
> you'll see NM at the top and network farther down. It's OK to use one or
> the other, just don't mix them.

I have yet to futz with F9, but does NM have the same basic problem in
that it normally does not run until the user logs in?  That screws up
lots of stuff including NIS and/or LDAP authentication, network
filesystems and several other things.

I've gotten around it by buggering wpa_supplicant.conf and forcing it to
run before anything significant tries to use the network, but geeze!
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -