Sound input problems on Shuttle SN68PTG5

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 06:44:39 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

> Just in case it helps, I've seen a similar thing with Audacity on all
> the PCs that I've run it on (each with different hardware).  With no
> audio input, the VU meters show one channel wildly fluttering about, and
> with increased gain over the other.  With a signal, it's somewhat
> similar (fluttering meter, mismatched left versus right gain, but the
> audio records pretty much okay).  In the end, I plugged the computer
> into a real audio mixer, ran tests to find the nominal and clipping
> levels, then ignored the metering on the computer.

Thanks for your thoughts.  The PC I've replaced with the new Shuttle one
doesn't seem to have this problem and I have used it for converting some
old cassette recordings to OGG-Vorbis.  That just had an ancient
2-channel Soundblaster card.  The audacity meters worked pretty much as
you would expect.  I may yet raid it for that card and dump the on-board
on the Shuttle.

I have tried ignoring the meter and recording using this chipset, but
the noise is worse than I would get on a cheap tape recorder, and only
records on the left channel, which is useless.  Running under Vista it
records quite acceptably.  Hurumph!