How to find/change machine name

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Apr 30 09:59:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:05:39AM +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <20080430074959.GA31344 at th-shell-1>,
>    Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:10:41AM +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
>
> > "on everything except Linux"?  I suspect by that you mean Windows! :-)
>
> I can see why you would say that. In truth, I do use Windows when I have
> to but by choice I use RISC OS. RISC OS does ping continuously but can be
> stopped with the escape key, simple and logical. I've also used ping on
> Apple but it was a while back and I cannot remember anything about it.
>
> > On everything (including Linux) that I have worked on a ping command
> > by default continues for ever.
>
> It isn't the default on windows is it? Doesn't that do 5 cycles?

Oops, yes I agree, I meant to say on everything else other than
Windows that I have worked on.

> > To stop it you do just the same as you would on the Windows (!)
> > command line, hit CTRL/C.
>
> I've never ever used that. Didn't know about it - thanks. How obscure!

It's been just about universal since the days of using teletypes as
terminals (which I remember quite well), CTRL/C sends an interrupt to
the currently running process.

As someone else pointed out using ESCape as an interrupt/break
character is 'obscure' as it's intended as a character escape, not a
process 'escape'.

--
Chris Green