Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 30 16:34:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 11:47 -0400, max bianco wrote:
> >  I find that Fedora is a great platform on which to use the latest
> >  development tools and get a preview of new environments.  I can't think
> >  of a better distro for that.  Some folks, however have suggested that I
> >  have to buy the whole fedora philosophy (and I'm not sure that there's
> >  any real consensus on exactly what that is) if I want to remain as a
> >  fedora user.  Decorum prevents me from giving the explicit response that
> >  such an idea deserves.
> >
> No! I think the spirit of Fedora is freedom and you should say what
> you feel because otherwise what's the point? I won't judge you for
> having a different view than me but I will let you know that I
> disagree but so what?. This is a forum for users is it not?
> unmoderated and I am glad that it is so! There is too much
> regulation/moderation/conformity in the world and certainly
> organization is required to run  a project like Fedora but there is
> and should always be a place where you can voice your opinion,
> regardless of how unpopular it is. I did just that recently talking
> about KDE, some took offense at my comments and some tried to figure
> out what the hell I was talking about, what matters in any kind of
> community is that its citizens express themselves freely and without
> fear. Damn the silence I say. If you feel strongly about something
> then don't hide it. Your not doing yourself or anyone else any favors
> in the long run, everyone's opinion counts and it just might be yours
> that makes the critical difference. Certainly decorum is a good thing
> and some , myself included, could stand to learn a bit more about it
> but don't let it keep you from saying what you have to say. The only
> thing an intelligent being finds offensive is a communication barrier.

Most folks prefer their communications to be somewhat less visceral.
That said, I've also seen some pretty vile things hidden behind a shield
of decorum.

We're drifting even further OT here, but as you say, this is
unmoderated.  That means that there's a lot more traffic than necessary,
but I find that I can occasionally sift a few real gems of information
out of the chaff.

Dave