f8: PC dies while using firefox

Nataraj incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com
Wed Apr 30 18:28:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:47 -0700, Les wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:57 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > resources are strained.  If you leave firefox unattended whil it is
> > > hooked on to some web page that is running crap on your system, well,
> > > I guess you get what you deserve.
> >
> > echo "2" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
> >
> > and your system will refuse to overallocate resources. You may need more
> > swap that way but as all the resource really does exist your computer
> > shouldn't do an impression of the rather analogous US housing market by
> > handing out more than exists and then finding it all in use.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> My most recent test showed no effect on swap (1G Ram in the machine and
> 0 swap used).  But Acroread was consuming 100% of one processor.  I have
> also re-acquired a problem I had with early F7 where I am getting
> frequent "Connection reset by remote host" messages and also lots of
> interrupted page loads on firefox (probably related).

I have seen cases where acroread would consume 100% CPU time, even if I
restarted acroread, until I completely exited/restarted firefox.  I
don't remember the exact details, but it seemed like they may have been
in competition for an X resource.  I don't remember if both firefox or
acroread were both eating up CPU time or not.  In my case this was under
F7.

Nataraj