****Re: openldap + kmail

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:57:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:39 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 14:53 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > ----
> > > Yes - it actually is unreasonable since there is no standard way of
> > > setting up LDAP address books.
> > >
> > > Since we seem to keep having this discussion...let me restate so we are
> > > clear.
> > >
> > > There simply is no standard for LDAP address books.
> > >
> > > There simply is no standard way to set anything up in LDAP...it's an
> > > erector set.
> >
> > I understand that perfectly well. However the question was not "how do I
> > set up a general-purpose address book" but "how do I set up an
> > address-book that Kmail will accept" and my suggestion of an example was
> > also specific to Kmail. Clearly the OP solved the problem by setting up
> > his address book in a certain way. Why can't what way be documented as
> > an example in the Kmail documentation (*not* the LDAP documentation)?
> ----
> What is the difference between a 'general-purpose address book' and a
> 'specific-purpose Kmail address book' that uses an LDAP backend?
>
> I would submit that there is no difference but that they are one and the
> same.

The OP's system didn't work with one configuration, and now does work
with a different configuration (apparently the trick is to have a field
"DN: Address Book" as part of the record). What is the problem with
simply stating this in the Kmail docs? Maybe the field has to be there
for every other address-book application out there, maybe not, but the
fact that it's a general recommendation doesn't take away from it also
being a specific recommendation.

poc