F8/F9 Multiboot question

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Aug 3 11:34:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:20:01 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Some people think that a boot directory inside / is fine, rather than a
> partition, because it works for them, at *that* time.  But later on, as
> they install updates and other files, the location of boot-up files
> (e.g. kernel and initrd files) moves around, and can end up in an
> unreadable (by the BIOS) place.

Yea, it seems to depend on the age of the BIOS. The BIOS folks have
been trailing the disc manufacturers for years :-). With a new enough
system, you may not have a problem booting off a partition anywhere
on the disk (it seems to work for me), but depending on the BIOS,
you may find that it won't boot unless the boot partition is "close"
to the beginning of the disk (where "close" is impossible to guess
until it finally fails to boot someday and you dig up how far away
it is :-).