OT: Re: Replies to newbies

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Aug 3 17:33:08 UTC 2008

söndagen den 3 augusti 2008 skrev g:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > George, your tone to newcomers to the list often leaves something to be
> > desired.  People that know you don't take offence, but it's all too easy
> > to scare newbies away.  Please do be less critical and more sympathetic
> > to them.  :-)  Who knows what they might contribute in the longer term.
>
> ok. just where in hell was i being 'off tone'???

Well that's one example right there. "Hell" and three question marks seems
somewhat rude.

> if you would read back thru thread, you will see that i was interested
> in finding out what program rui [if that is what has brought this about]
> was referring to. my using hex to relate to what i was seeing in his
> reply was not meant to be offensive and because i do not have keyboard
> set up to print special marks, i used what i did.

Instead of "so just what in hell is 'Mir[0xef 0xbf,0xbd]'???", I suggest that
you write something like "That seems to have been garbled and I can't figure
it out. What was the name of the program?" That would be a nicer tone and
would also help us understand you better. As you saw, I didn't understand at
first that you asked for the name. I tought you complained about a garbled
message.

Björn Persson