Fedora core 9 frezzes up after 2 or 3 hours

dump dump at vandrosthagen.net
Sun Aug 3 21:16:36 UTC 2008

Hello guys,

I'm new to this list, and I hope this is the right list to post this issue.

Yesterday I upgraded my server from FC5 to FC9 without any problems. I was running FC5 for over a year without any problems, but because of the End of support, I thought lets upgrade it again. After the upgrade everything was working ok again, little bit jibling in the config files to get some deamons up and running again, but everything was up again.

So after a good couple of hours (I upgraded with yum) of this upgrade I went to bed. In the morning (3 hours later after the upgrade) I found out that my box was not responding anymore, I went to the console and could input my user:root and password but then no prompt and no logon.

After a reboot (reset switch) I looked into the message file and found nothing. So I watched my system the following 2,5 hours and yes bam again it just froze on me, and again I couldn't logon to the console anymore.

In the past I had similar problems with this and that was because of power save (acpi) so I looked at the boot parameters, an there were still saying "ide0=dma ide1=dma pci=noacpi idebus=66". To be sure everything would be off on power save I changed this line to "ide0=dma ide1=dma idebus=66 pci=noacpi noacpi acpi=off apm=off"  (I know overkill) but still 2,5 hour later bam it froze again.

The only thing I can think off at this moment is that in FC5 I was using an smp kernel, maybe with the new kernel in FC9 there has been some changes on parameters for the kernel, or I missed something why this is happening.

I'm running a dual amd cpu system on a tyan tiger 760mpx board.
Kernel version using at the moment is : 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

Thanks for the help.

Regards Quint