Creating a local repository

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Aug 4 02:07:49 UTC 2008

I have two questions on this, or at least 1.5 since I have a workaround
for one issue.

I turned on the flag in yum.conf to keep rpms in /var/cache/yum, so I
could avoid beating repositories and networks doing upgrades after an
install. I put them in a directory, burned a DVD, and I can mount it for
upgrades, using "yum localupgrade /media/dvd/*.rpm" or similar.

However, I know that someday I will get the "command line too long"
message, and decided to create a repository. And it looks as if the
'createrepo' utility is broken. I tried it on my normal machine for FC9,
and then on 'vestial,' my virgin install which uses only the official
and production RPMs, no 3rd party, no testing, no rawhide, this is as
stable as Fedora gets.

Failed the same way there.

So question one: is createrepo broken in FC9?

Then I moved the RPMs to another machine, an old FC6 machine I need to
use some drivers never updates past FC6. The createrepo there worked
fine, now how do I use it? Is it best to export via HTTP, or FTP, or NFS
mount, or ??? I don't find clear docs on doing this, and I'd like to get
the capability while the "old way" still works.

I'm probably going to wind up doing this for CentOS-5.2 as well, just as
a time saver.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>