F8/F9 Multiboot question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 5 05:06:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 16:25 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Here is my drive partitions:
> ========================
> /dev/sdb - Sata - 750GB drive
> [Sizes specified are not exact]
>
> /dev/sdb1 - boot-sys  (100MB)
> /dev/sdb2 - boot-f8    (100MB)
> /dev/sdb3 - boot-f9    (100MB)
> /dev/sdb4 - Extended
> /dev/sdb5 - root-f8     (175GB)
> /dev/sdb6 - root-f9     (175GB)
> /dev/sdb7 - f-App1    (351GB)
> /dev/sdb8 - swap        (~5GB)
>
> Ok, I have thus far, set up a new drive with the partitions, finally
> figured out how to get the new drive's MBR installed and to use
> the boot-sys (/dev/sdb1)  file, but apparently, the chain-loaders
> could not boot the root-f8 (/dev/sdb5) nor root-f9 (/dev/sdb6)
> filesystem.

You chainload into the *boot* partition, each boot partition refers to
its *root* partition on the kernel load lines.

> Do I need to make the [boot-f8 (/dev/sdb2) and boot-f9 (/dev/sdb3) ]
> and/or [ root-f8 (/dev/sdb5) and root-f9 (/dev/sdb6) ] filesystems
> bootable?

You shouldn't need to do that.  It's really only the BIOS that goes
looking for bootable partitions, to pick which to boot up by default.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.