time/ntp[d]

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Aug 6 13:20:58 UTC 2008

michael wrote, On 08/06/2008 03:56 AM:
> It seems my clock is losing time but yet I have 'enable Network Time
> Protocol' enabled and set to a local time machine. If I

by "a local time machine" do you mean:
server 127.127.1.0
???

or
server 130.88.200.6 burst
restrict 130.88.200.6 mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
???

127.127.1.0 is only *sort of* reliable once it has been disciplined, i.e., a
drift file built up for a few days.

> 	sudo /etc/init.d/ntpd stop
> 	sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate 130.88.200.6
>
> then it resets it to the correct time, so how come it's losing time?

start ntpd, wait ~15 minutes, then run
/usr/sbin/ntpq -p
and send us the results.
i.e., to little information so far.

> I was expecting to see stats in /var/log/ntpstats (as per my Debian box)
> but that dir doesn't exist on this Fed box...

You have to config ntpd (in /etc/ntp.conf) to keep the stats, which are most
times not needed, and I don't remember what config items have to be set to
keep those stats.

--
Todd Denniston