permissions- still not an answer to my question

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 8 10:42:45 UTC 2008

roland wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 11:54:25 +0200, Anne Wilson
> <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 07 August 2008 10:32:59 roland wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I moved the homedirectories from one server to another.
>>> Somehow the permissons got mixed up.
>>> Is there anyway to check permissions?
>>
>> It's probably the ownership rather than the permissions that has
>> changed.  'ls -l filename' will show you an example of who owns that
>> directory's files at the moment, then
>>
>> chown -R newowner:groupname /path/to/directory/
>>
>> should get you up and running again.
>>
>> Anne
>>
> I can check easely owner and group but what I would like to find is a
> script that checks the permissions. I remember, sorry to mention it, SCO
> unix, they had a utility to check the entire installation.
> Like for example .dmrc, in the home dir, need to have a 644 permission.
> What permissions should the other .dir have, like .gnome, .evolution eso.

Most directories are very happy with 744 permissions.  That would be mostly
what you want since 644 could present problems.  The only directory that I
*know requires* a different permission is .ssh, where you'd need 700.

I did notice that you've convinced yourself that your problems are related
to permissions and don't seem interested to explore other possibilities.
AFAIK, you also didn't mention exactly *how* you moved the home directories.