Kde on F9 -died

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 10 22:03:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 16:53 -0500, Bob Hartung wrote:
> Hi all - having trouble with KDE on F9.  While adjusting the background
> the desktop disappeared.  I am left with a black screen and a white
> cursor arrow - no desktop.
>
>    Tried ./kde/share/config/plasma* but this did not reset things.  I do
> not find the information on the kde.org web site, but then again I may
> not be looking in 'all the right places'.
>
>    Hints before I rpm -e all of kde and start over?
----
I wouldn't recommend the 'rpm -e kde*' kind of approach at all.

At worst, you can move your kde settings...

Try killing X first...
<Control><Alt><Backspace>

and then login again

If problem persists...Kill X again per above and then go to a virtual
console,
<Control><Alt><F1>
Then login to virtual console as user and execute
mv ~/.kde .kde-bak
Then return to GUI login
<Control><Alt><F7>
and you should be functional.

You may want to restore some settings from ~/.kde-bak afterwards

Craig