Stripes on screen after installing Fedora

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 23:50:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 23:38 +0200, Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:
> How do I disable that X11?? I dont even know what that is??

X11 is the basic graphical interface subsystem, on top of which run the
full eye-candy environments like KDE or Gnome. It's the component which
needs to know how to talk to your Nvidia graphics card for the rest to
work properly.

However, this being Linux, X11 is simply an optional component and the
system will run without it. As I (and I think others) have said before,
the way to run the basic system without the graphical part is to go into
mode 3. This means X11 won't run and your Nvidia card will be used
simply to show a basic text terminal, which is very standard and should
always work. That should be enough to enable you to update the system
and get the latest Nvidia driver, as explained already.

By the way, please don't top-post on this list. Put your replies *after*
the text you are replying to to, not before it.

poc