Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 04:39:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 08:01 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 23:01 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Tom spot Callaway
> > <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> >         On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 18:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> >         > What gets me is that it's an integrated soundchip.  Usually
> >         those are
> >         > pretty well supported, at least in basics.
> >

> >         Out of curiousity, what soundchip is it? What does lspci say
> >         it is? What
> >         kind of motherboard is it on?
> >
> > It's an Azalia on a AMD K9A Platinum.
> >
> > 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
> > (and guess what, copy and paste doesn't work into firefox, I had to do
> > this manually...  I'm getting frustrated...)
>
> Russell,
>
> I've got a K9A Platinum.  I've had sound working from day one, with a
> better set of drivers and a better mixer.  The difference is that I went
>
> http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi
>
> And downloaded the latest drivers for my kernel.  The mixer, drivers and
> features are much more mature and easier to work with, plus the latest
> sound chips are supported.  "Pulseaudio" or whatever it is, is not
> needed at all in this scenario.
>
> In addition to that you get more control over the sound card and more
> information about what it's doing.  There are also conf files you can
> get to in order to customize stuff.
>
> I've had problems with alsa from day one, ever since I started
> attempting to record radio broadcasts over the internet.  I got away
> from that stuff a long time ago.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and I just installed OSS. I had a
key that I got from Hannu, about 10 years ago, now I can't find it.
<chuckles> For $10 I was entitled to life time updates. So, I just
ditched alsa, everything works nicely. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339