fc9 install

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 16:40:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 22:29 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> >

> > 2008/8/10 Fennix <cn.stefan at gmail.com>
> >

> >         I think that Ken Murray has the right idea.  My experience
> >         with the installation of F9 is the same.  When I do the media
> >         check it reports a good disk and then cannot continue the
> >         installation.  Reboot and skip the media check and the
> >         installation proceeds normally.  On my system this has always
> >         been the case for the numerous F9 install/re-installs that I
> >         have needed to do.
> >

> > This has been the case ever since RedHat 9 or earlier, I'm surprised
> > it's never been fixed, and it seems a little braindead to me.  A media
> > check is a *good* thing, right?  So why doesn't it say "yay, your
> > media passed, now let's go on with the install!"?
> >
> > Is there a reason behind this that I'm not getting?
>
> I haven't seen this happen myself. I would hazard a guess that it
> depends on the drive model and driver. Perhaps something isn't being
> reset correctly after the test.
>
> poc
>

> --

That would also be my guess as well.  I cannot remember now whether this
happened in prior version installs now.  This time I was affected recently
with grub errors after an update and was no longer able to boot F9.  F8
still worked if grub loaded and did not report a stage 2 error.  Tried
re-installing F9 and it always seemed to stall towards then end (file #835
of ~936) for a generic install (take the defaults for choices and modify
once a base system was installed) so I tried numerous times and encountered
the post media check hang.  I could only successfully install this time from
the latest Fedora Unity release.  Not sure if I tried the media check then
as that was ~ my 8th attempt to reinstall....

I am not sure how to get any log errors when an install is unsuccessful to
find out more for a bugzilla report.  Today I did see some messages
regarding other consoles for error messages and will keep this in mind if I
do encounter such a problem again.

Fennix