Idle thoughts or question re: dual booting and grub default !?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Mon Aug 11 17:10:10 UTC 2008

Hi;

I have a dual boot system WindowsXP on /dev/sda; Fedora on /dev/sdb.

Some days I find myself switching between the two quite often.  I can
also go weeks with no need of Windows.

I am not sure if what I propose is possible, but ...

I would like to create a script in Fedora, and a .bat in Windows that
changes the default in grub when selected.  I would have a desktop
launcher in both systems to be used for restarting.  The alogarithm
would be something like what follows:

     1. set grub default to other OS
     2. restart

Since re-booting takes a bit of time (particularly in WindowsXP), I
could simply click my 'restart in other OS' icon and walk away for a
fresh coffee or to make a phone call without having to catch the grub
selection screen.  The normal shutdown and restart would remain the
same.

Setting up a virtual machine is a solution but for much later for me.

I am looking for pointers or suggestions; tips and tricks; on how these
scripts and batch files might be written; or even if they are possible
at all.

I will take on the actual writing of them as a personal challenge.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3