Idle thoughts or question re: dual booting and grub default !?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 11 20:22:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 13:10 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have a dual boot system WindowsXP on /dev/sda; Fedora on /dev/sdb.
>
> Some days I find myself switching between the two quite often.  I can
> also go weeks with no need of Windows.
>
> I am not sure if what I propose is possible, but ...
>
> I would like to create a script in Fedora, and a .bat in Windows that
> changes the default in grub when selected.  I would have a desktop
> launcher in both systems to be used for restarting.  The alogarithm
> would be something like what follows:
>
>      1. set grub default to other OS
>      2. restart
This seems rather easy to do from Fedora to Windows. The script would
change the value of default in grub.conf and the reboot would take care
of it. Going back to Fedora would seem like more of a problem. Also you
need to tightly restrict the number of kernel entries in grub.conf.

> Since re-booting takes a bit of time (particularly in WindowsXP), I
> could simply click my 'restart in other OS' icon and walk away for a
> fresh coffee or to make a phone call without having to catch the grub
> selection screen.  The normal shutdown and restart would remain the
> same.
>
> Setting up a virtual machine is a solution but for much later for me.
>
> I am looking for pointers or suggestions; tips and tricks; on how these
> scripts and batch files might be written; or even if they are possible
> at all.
>
> I will take on the actual writing of them as a personal challenge.
>
> --
> Regards Bill;
> Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3
> Evo.2.22.3.1, Emacs 22.2.1

All my friends and I are crazy. That's the only thing that keeps us
sane.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net