F8/F9 Multiboot question

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Aug 11 20:50:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:36:43 -0700
"Daniel B. Thurman" <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:

> I cannot
> figure out why I cannot get the chain-loaders to work for w2kPro
> and XP, but it works for Vista now (go figure!).

It is entirely possible that XP and W2K will only boot if they
believe they live on the primary disk. Could be (not sure) that
the only way to use grub for everything is if the main grub
partition with all the chainloader specs is on the same disk
with XP. The fact that vista will boot leads me to suspect
this may be the case, vista's boot code may not be as braindamaged
as XP and W2k. The last time I had linux and XP on the same system,
they were both on the same disk with grub and I had no problems
(other than the problem that I couldn't install XP at all if
there was an ext3 partition anywhere on any sata disk, but I solved that
by wiping all the disks clean and installing XP first :-).