Fedora 8 and VMware Server

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Tue Aug 12 13:43:30 UTC 2008

My mistake on the lack of details.

I am attempting to use the tar.gz format of the vmware server 1.0.6.91891.
 To be exact, the install works, it's the configuration that aborts at the
vmmon creation step.

I tried a new test and found the following:
        1.  On a machine running the 32-bit version of Fedora 9 on a Intel
Pentium 4 and 2-GB RAM the complete install and configuration works
correctly.
        2.  On a machine running the 64-bit version of Fedora 8 on a AMD
Athlon x2 5600+ and 4-GB RAM the configuration fails at the vmmon creation
step.

I have no way to test this on a 64-bit Intel to see if that makes a
difference, nor can I upgrade the Fedora 8 machine to Fedora 9 (it's
running Oracle 11g, Fedora-DS, plus other stuff).

I will attempt to remove all of the vmware and attempt a re-install and
capture the exact error.  I will then report back here.

Thanks,
Gene Poole