Fedora 8 and VMware Server

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Aug 12 15:58:14 UTC 2008

Gene Poole wrote:

> My mistake on the lack of details.
>
> I am attempting to use the tar.gz format of the vmware server
> 1.0.6.91891.  To be exact, the install works, it's the configuration
> that aborts at the vmmon creation step.

Yes, I ran into this on F9 x86_64.  I'm using the RPMs from VMWare.  I
had to go out and get the latest vmware-any-any-update.  I think I found
version for 116, 117, and 117a.  In order to get it running on my laptop.

> I tried a new test and found the following:
>         1.  On a machine running the 32-bit version of Fedora 9 on a
> Intel Pentium 4 and 2-GB RAM the complete install and configuration
> works correctly.
>         2.  On a machine running the 64-bit version of Fedora 8 on a AMD
> Athlon x2 5600+ and 4-GB RAM the configuration fails at the vmmon
> creation step.

My laptop came with VMWare already configured on FC6, but as the kernel
updates came out, I had to get the any-any-updates to keep it running.
When I upgraded to F9, it became a bigger problem.  It was solved by
applying the vmware-any-any-update117a.tar.gz over the
VMWare-server-1.0.6-91891.i386.rpm installation.  Yes, on an x86_64
system.  Works just fine right now (except my VMWare tools are out date).

> I have no way to test this on a 64-bit Intel to see if that makes a
> difference, nor can I upgrade the Fedora 8 machine to Fedora 9 (it's
> running Oracle 11g, Fedora-DS, plus other stuff).

I stopped runing VMWare on i386 when I updated to F9, so I have no way
to run it on i386 anymore.  My F8 server is an i386 running an AMD 2600+
CPU, but I don't run VMWare on it.  I run VMWare only on my F9 laptop.

> I will attempt to remove all of the vmware and attempt a re-install and
> capture the exact error.  I will then report back here.

Google for the vmware-any-any-update tars.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net