help

Gijs info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Wed Aug 13 12:25:27 UTC 2008

Sanjay S Nair wrote:
> Eventhough i have successfully installed the mplayer I am not
> successful in installing the GUI for that player. i don't know
> sometimes it doesn't works the ./configure, make, make install.

"yum install mplayer" should do the trick. You don't really need to
compile everything you want to install. There are some programs that you
cannot get from the standard yum repositories, but if you install the
Livna (http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/) or DAG repository you can access
quite a bit.
And I'd recommend using smplayer (http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/)
instead of the standard gui of mplayer.
The Livna repository has it, so you can do "yum install smplayer" after
you install the livna repository and you're good to go. Saves having to
figure out how to fix other video-players as well. (after many years of
waiting, this seems to be the only decent GUI for mplayer actually)

> I don't know how to upgrade the firefox and other stuff. I want to
> know all the methods not just yum.

The only proper way to update Fedora is by using Yum to be honest.
> And the yum is not working it show some error pop up "Error: Cannot
> retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: dag. Please
> verify its path and try again"... And i want to know the offline
> method installer.

Download the RPM and do "rpm -Uvh filename.rpm"

Hope this helps.

Regards