F9 and nVidia Quadro NVS 140 M

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Aug 13 20:35:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 12:33 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu>
wrote:

        > On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 12:00 -0400, Chris Snook wrote:
        > > Matthew Saltzman wrote:
        > > > Is anyone running this combination with either the nv
        driver or the
        > > > binary nvidia driver?  Are there any issues--in particular
        with suspend
        > > > or hibernate and resume?
        > > >
        > > > I have a ThinkPad T61 with this card.  I'd like to know
        before I
        > upgrade
        > > > that I will still be able to suspend/resume.
        > >
        > > Every case I've ever heard of suspend/resume problems with
        that hardware
        > was
        > > fixed by installing the nvidia driver.  If you're
        comfortable running
        > that, you
        > > should be okay.
        >
        > I do run the binary drivers in F8.  Suspend works, but
        hibernate
        > doesn't.  I just wanted confirmation that it was at least that
        good in
        > F9.
        >
        > Thx.
        >

        > > -- Chris
        > >

        > --
        >                Matthew Saltzman

        I would say my experience with a Quadro 570M is about the same.
        Suspend
        appears to work but when it comes out of hibernate everything
        acts funny
        (momentary lockups and eventual hard locks).

        Richard

I got a test machine with the 570M.  The nv driver suspends OK but
resumes with the backlight off.  I haven't yet figured out a
workaround .  This bug goes back to F8.  Hibernate seems to work fine.

The nvidia drivers for the latest kernel are delayed at Livna, so
haven't been able to test them yet.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences