Fedora Core 9

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 13 22:18:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 14:56 -0700, James McManus wrote:
> I did as Patrick describe (I think). When I rebooted I no longer get a
> beeping sound, instead I get a continuous stream of text, repeating the
> word grub over and over again. I did a diff on my boot directory and the
> backup boot directory, and they are identical.
>
> I am not sure where to go now. I was thinking it was a problem with grub,
> since that is where it stalls when booting. Has anybody run into a similar
> problem and found a solution? Why did this occur after updating packages?
> That seems to suggest there is something wrong with one of the new updates?
>
> After the update finished, it asked be to reboot, which I did, and have
> done many time before. Then this happened?
----
upgrade to fedora 9 seems to need grub to be re-installed.

boot with rescue disk (or installation disk and type 'linux rescue')

after it 'finds' the installation and gives you a prompt, type...

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
exit
exit

and it will reboot and all should be good if /etc/fstab is correct

Craig