[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Fixing or removing NetworkManager ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Aug 13 22:50:40 UTC 2008

Thanks very much Jeff;

[snip]

> where is dhclient-eth0.conf  exactly?
It is exactly at:
/etc/dhclient-eth0.conf

> I think you should just remove it since I dont think such a file
> exists for default operation.  Find where it is, and if you want a
> backup of it to use later.. for more experimenting...just move it
> to /root/  for now instead of deleting it.
I have taken your advice and moved it to
/root/MoveAsides/dhclient-eth0.conf

Should I do the same with
/etc/dhcp6c.conf  ?

Currently the file dhcp6c.conf exists but is completely commented out.

>         The applet appear's to function correctly.
>

> So if the applet appears to function correctly...does the network
> appear to work as expected?

Not sure.  I had a couple of problems with shutdown ( shutdown got stuck
at tomcat5 and I had to turn off the computer manually) and boincmgr
coming up at re-boot but on third try everything worked fine.  May or
may not be related to NetworkManager.

>         As additional referrence:
>         /etc/hosts
>         # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
>         # that require network functionality will fail.
>         127.0.0.1       CASE localhost.localdomain       localhost
>         ::1                  localhost6.localdomain6     localhost6
>
>         /etc/resolv.conf
>         # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>
>         nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> i take it 192.168.1.1 is the ip of your router?

Yes it is.

>         ]$ route
>         Kernel IP routing table
>         Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric
>         Ref    Use
>         Iface
>         192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0
>          0        0
>         eth0
>         default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0
>          0        0
>         eth0
>
> looks fine as long as 192.168.1.1 is the router.

Then it is fine.

>         Does NetworkManager have a separate configuration file?  If
>         so, where is
>         it?
> The simplest answer is no... NM doesn't have a single configuration
> file that can be compared to something like ifcfg-eth0.
>
> I believe NM makes use of gconf for per-user configs about
> 'connections' as well as gnome-keyring for network passwords. If you
> want to explore NM's configs as a user you might want to install
> gconf-editor and use the gui to explore the network related items you
> can edit instead of working with the gconf files directly or using the
> cmdline tools.

I have had gconf-editor since I first installed F9.  There is no listing
of NetworkManager or anything with network in its name or as a key value
that is related to network or networkmanager or NM or such.  Nor is
there any 'connections'.

One entry, /apps/nautilus/desktop/network_icon_visible, is unmarked i.e.
false.  That's it.

Double checked ~/.gconf.  Nothing there either.

> When you interact with NM via the applet as a logged in user, you are
> working with the user configs in the user's gconf registry..not a set
> of system defaults.

Only key found with find "connections"

/apps/gnome-session/options/allow_tcp_connections

Unmarked [false]

> Before you go messing around with gconf stuff I would suggest you back
> up your user's .gconf and .gconfd directories. If you make a mistake
> you can just put the backups back into place kill the gconfd service
> daemon and have things back in order.

First I had better find out where my NM stuff is in .gconf.  I have
completely eyeballed the file and searched using as many criteria as *I*
can think of and no luck.  All suggestions welcome.

> The most important thing when poking at your system's configurations
> directly via the cmdline or advanced ui tools..is to make sure you
> back things up before you start the 'learning' process. And by back up
> I mean directory structures you plan to add or remove or edit files
> under. If you add a file and you don't take notes about what you
> added.. the only sure way to make sure you remove the files is to
> refresh the directory entirely to a specific known state.. not just
> copy in versions of pre-existing files.

Very good advice.  But pardon my apparent stupidity, I am not yet sure
where the current gconf configurations are.

By the way; I have been having problems with gnome desktop, nautilus and
friends for a couple of weeks now.  The trashcan was removed from my
desktop and re-marking it to be visible does not return it to the
desktop, etc.  All minor problems, but annoying -- I hadn't thought of
them being connected to NetworkManager.  Perhaps the non-appearance of
NM configuration in gconf-editor and .gconf is related to this problem

> There is no automatic 'undo all the changes I shouldn't have made
> button' when editing configs. Backup...poke your system with a stick
> till you kill it...reload from the backup..repeat.

Thanks Jeff; I am used to doing that kind of stuff.  I have been poking
around Linux for three years now, so I have learnt the hard way.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3