F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 00:02:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Here, nothing would import video through the firewire port, even if I
> just hit play on the camera and didn't try remotely controlling the
> player from the computer (which didn't work either).  Apparently the
> firewire port does work enough that you can see the camera's been
> recognised, if you look through the system logs.

We should look at this more closely...probably in another thread. It
might be a kernel regression..or it could be some sort of acl issue
associated with the new authorization scheme that PolicyKit/ConsoleKit
uses for device access. We need to compare notes..but not in this
thread.

And even if I imported
> video via Windows, then tried to make use of the already captured files
> in Linux, I got nowhere.  And adding every available codec didn't help,
> things, at all.
>
> Again, re-rendering lossy compressed video is to be avoided at all
> costs, it's seriously detrimental to quality.  And usually would be
> completely avoidable, anyway, as most editing is "cuts only" which
> doesn't need re-rendering, just interrupting the streams at the right
> moment, and joining two streams together.

pitivi knows how to deal with dv as source material.. and it does
basic clip sequencing and chopping.  I've use it to sequence a couple
of things shot from the panasonic minidv camcorder that I have, and
then used audacity to edit the sound track separately, then mixed the
two together into a final theora video with vorbis audio.  A topic for
another thread.

-jef