FC9 install, (?) Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 03:56:26 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 8/14/08, Jay Mistry <jaylinux52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jay Mistry <jaylinux52 at gmail.com>
> Subject: FC9 install, (?) Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 8:46 PM
> I am having a problem with FC 9 *(Fedora Core 9)* install.
>
> *For FC9 install*:
>
> Tried the install method described in this
> <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174951>thread
> (reply #
> 5<http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=921525&postcount=5>
> & # 6
> <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=921531&postcount=6>
> :
> Windows & FC9 Linux on separate partitions, with option
> to choose which OS
> to boot through the BIOS).* [To do this, I disconnected the
> Windows HD (as
> there are 2 Hard Disks: 250 GB IDE with Win XP Pro &
> 500 GB SATA on first
> partition of which I installed Linux, after disconnecting
> the 250 GB IDE
> (Windows) drive) ].*
> The FC9 install (done with a boot FC9 DVD) itself went
> smoothly. After
> re-booting, I got the Fedora OS selector screen and booted
> into that, but
> then there was a *display problem* (use a 17" LG
> Flatron L177WSB Monitor)
> and the screen went blank with Error Message (provided by
> LCD firmware)
> stating: 'Refresh rate out of range" with a
> Vertical Refresh Rate displayed
> of 77.5 MHz). So, I re-booted, went into BIOS and chose the
> on-board VGA as
> the graphics display.
> But got the same Error Message ("Out of range" or
> something similar) with
> the on-board display selected.
With either the first card or the onboard card, try the following when grub prompt appears, press "e" or "a" key

then put a space and put in an "3" to boot into level 3.  Now you can login as regular user and when you see the prompt try the following command
$ system-config-display --reconfig

and try to configure the monitor settings for your monitor.  quit the setup and type
$ startx

Do you get X window(KDE/GNOME or other DE that you use)?
If you do not and you see same error, you may see what is on /var/log/Xorg?
namely like /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and send it if it is not too huge to try to help to see what is wrong.

> *(System Hardware Specs are at the end of this post).*
>
> What could be wrong? I think Fedora 9 may not have got the
> drivers
> on-board/during install for the Graphics Card or the
> Motherboard/On-board
> VGA. How can one troubleshoot this? Don't know which
> drivers to get & how to
> install them, as Fedora simply won't boot up &
> there is no Internet
> connection available in Linux.
If the advice above fails, then send output of
$ su -
password:  <--- put your password here
# lspci
and whatever comes out send it to us.

> Is there a way to *install the drivers after writing them
> to CD* (this
> is*best option
> * for me as I have a working net connection in Windows
> & can d/l & burn the
> drivers to CD from there). If yes, what drivers to get
> & how to install from
> CD?
You can also use a USB device or use the capabilites to read ntfs partitions that is now present on Fedora :)

> *Hardware details*:
> CPU: Pent 4 640 (3.20 GHz) (Socket 775LGA)
>
> Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2
> Mainboard<http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2714&ProductName=GA-73VM-S2>
> (nForce 610i chipset)
>
> PCI-E Graphics Card: XFX GeForce
> 8400GS<http://www.xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/8series/8400GS.aspx#2>
> (512 MB)
>
> On-board Graphics: GeForce 7050 (specs as in Mainboard link
> above)
>
> RAM (Memory): 2 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz
>
> OS (on 250 GB IDE (Master) HDD): Win XP Prof SP3
>

> Guidance greatly appreciated.
>
> *PS*:
>
> Also have the install DVD for FC 8 (Fedora 8); is that
> likely to install
> properly with above hardware?
> --

Don't give up yet on Fedora 9.  Try the suggestions first, then report back.

Regards,

Antonio