ps2 mouse pointer wanders away

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 23:15:21 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Joel Rees wrote:
>
>> I find that I often lose control of the mouse pointer. It seems to
>> happen more when I'm seeding torrents, or running a diff or a
>> message digest check on the download, or doing other things that
>> load the system.
>>
>> Sempron 2600, single processor, VIA KM400something+8237 chipset,
>> 760M RAM. Generic PS-2 mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> I can plug in a USB mouse and use that, and sometimes plugging the
>> USB mouse in brings the PS2 mouse back, as well.
>

> In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file what is mouse protocol set to?

No mouse definition in that file whatsoever.

I thought I'd ssh the whole file over to this box, to prove it, and
discovered in the process that, while the interface was set up
properly by the installer, the hosts file was set up to tell the
fedora 9 box that it was the external interface of my dsl router.

That boggled my mind enough that I forgot to take a copy of what I
found in /etc/hosts, so I'm going to have a hard time filing a decent
bug report on it.

And, in the process, I discovered that there seems to be an
intermittent bug in the language setup, such that I was not able to
switch from Japanese to English so I could make sure I understood the
firewall settings widget.

And, now, using one of the widgets instead of working directly on the
configuration file, I find that the box has forgotten what the dns
servers were, so the box is completely off line. And there's
something wedged in the firewall, as well, apparently, can't even
ping it.

I was going to start a rant about how I didn't expect Fedora 9 to be
rawhide, but I helped my wife with the laundry instead and have
calmed down a bit. This is, after all, the only way to figure out how
to deal with the new security model.

I expect that we'll end up proving that the whole idea of access
control lists is a specification level bug, but only time will tell,
and I really can't think of any other way of proving it is, other
than to subject a mixed technical user group like this to the spec.
Something good should shake out of the process, but it won't look
much like the theory they teach at school.

> I've seen what I think you are describing when set to infrequently
> seen/used setting. FWIW, the one I use most often is...
>     Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Thanks for reminding me where that file is. I found an example of the
mouse definition section on the web, but the problem now is getting
the box back on the web first.

I find myself wondering whether I should bother, though. If I've got
the time to nurse the box this way, maybe I should just go straight
to rawhide.

Thanks.
Joel Rees