network vs NetworkManger services ??

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 16 22:02:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 14:40 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> NetworkManager has apparently screwed up a lot of small Gnome processes.
>
>       * Trouble with Evo getting itself stuck in downloading mail
>         (looping ??).
>       * Clock applet not getting task and calendar info from Evolution
>         properly.
>       * I have been told that NM configuration info and keys should be
>         in my gconf-editor.  They are not.
>       * A couple of other little things (I forget now) not operating
>         properly after turning NetworkManager off and on.
I have not had the problems above. Although right now I can't find my
keys . I have seen them in earlier versions of NM, and they must be here
since the connections are made.

> I will see if I can get help with NetworkManager on the
> networkmanager-list at gnome.org , but meanwhile, so as to avoid asking
> really stupid questions in more than one place.  Is the 'network'
> service supposed to be running while the NetworkManager service is on?
No you should run one of them but not both of them. Do you see a
nm-applet in the upper right panel. What do you see if you left click on
it. You should see the available APs.

> Is it compiled into the kernel?  I thought it was a module?  Are those
> questions even relevant?
>
> ps aux shows NetworkManager but no 'network' or friends.
>
> The command line shows:
>
> ]# service network status
> Configured devices:
> lo eth0
> Currently active devices:
> lo eth0
>
> ]# service network stop
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
>
> and then;
>
> ]# service network status
> Configured devices:
> lo eth0
> Currently active devices:
> lo eth0
>
> There is no Fedora manual or 'Help' for NetworkManager
>
> 'man NetworkManager' produces only:
>         "DESCRIPTION
>                The NetworkManager daemon attempts to keep an active
>         network connection available at all times.  The point of
>         NetworkManager is  to  make  networking  configuration and setup
>         as painless and automatic as possible. If using DHCP,
>         NetworkManager is intended to  replace  default  routes,obtain
>         IP addresses from a DHCP server, and change nameservers whenever
>         it sees fit, with the aim of making networking Just Work."
>
> nm-tool shows me no more info than is available in the NM gui.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager simply tells me how
> to configure for pam.  My pam.d/gdm is
> auth       optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
> session    optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
>
> googled sites gives info for gentoo and mandrivia only.
>
> I am stumped.  I will re-ask on the NetworkManager list, but first I
> would like to straighten out in my mind the network vs NetworkManger
> services thing.
>
> --
> Regards Bill;
> Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3
> Evo.2.22.3.1, Emacs 22.2.1

Things equal to nothing else are equal to each other.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net