DNS poison? Yum tummy ache?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Aug 16 22:57:03 UTC 2008

From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>

> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 11:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Starting about a day ago, yum hasn't been able to locate a valid repo for
> > fedora, so this morning I exchanged the comment to enable it from the
> > downloads.fedora site.  Ok that works, but then it hangs on
> > updates-debuginfo, throwing up the error box, presumably from the same
> > problem, EXCEPT that stanza of that fedora.repo file has the enabled=0
> > statement.

One thing this does though is prove that hardware is not only
malicious, but sentient and aware of what is going on:

My system disk picked Friday to die so hard that the BIOS hangs
during POST attempting to identify it as a disk. Naturally, the
weekend I need to restore things on a new disk, is the weekend
the fedora infrastructure is shot and livna doesn't have nvidia
drivers built :-).

All I wanted to do for now was "yum erase" some things after the
initial install, but it can't even do an erase without valid metadata
which it can't download (I'm guessing it will work if I disable all
the repos first :-).