spooky coincidence or disk killer virus?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Aug 17 21:48:34 UTC 2008

Friday, my system disk died, so I took that as a sign to
reinstall everything from scratch and reorganize my partitions
(not to mention getting a much bigger disk). I figure the disk
picked Friday to die because it knew fedora updates and livna
build system were down, so it would be the most inconvenient
time it could possibly pick to die :-).

Today, my 2nd disk with lots of data died as well (the new
disk is currently getting filled back up via rsync from
my backup drive).

Is this just a sign of superb quality control in the samsung
disk factories turning out identical disks that last almost
the exact same amount of time in the same CPU case with the
same number of power cycles?

Or is there some spooky virus around that can actually destroy
the electronics in disk drives (both disks appear to be so dead
they can't even be recognized as disk drives by the BIOS).

These were 2 samsung HD160JJ sata disks ordered at the same time
and probably pulled from the same box, both made 2006.1 according
to the date stamp.

I hope this isn't the same problem livna and fedora infrastructure
had :-).