Fedora upgrade from 6 to 9

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Aug 18 12:20:06 UTC 2008

Sundeep Pundamale wrote:
> Can some one provide instructions to upgrade fedora 6 to fedora 9. What
> are the precautions that needs to be taken so as to not break the system
> and existing configurations.

I recently did this (just to see if it /could/ be done.  The best way to
do this /without/ do a reinstall, is to upgrade in series.  FC6 to FC7
to F8 to F9.

No, it's not pretty.  No, it's probably /not/ recommended.  But it works.

A couple of caveats though.  Any 3rd party repos you use, you might want
to get rid of the installed packages at some point in the process.  I
only enable those repos (like livna) only when I need to install
something not included in the default repos.  Then I disable it.  That
way there are no 3rd party updates included when I yum update each day.

HTH.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support