DNS poison? Yum tummy ache?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:14:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 16:01 +0000, g wrote:

> greetings,
>
> to make this easier and more enjoyable, '4 in 1'.
>
> first off, 'beware of greeks bearing gifts'.
>
> ****
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Now you are being offensive :-)  'Scotch' is whisky, and the Scottish people
> > take this issue very seriously :-)
>
> how little you know, teacher. not only do you not know of 'scotch-irish',
> you do not know how to spell *whiskey*.

Whiskey is Irish or American, whisky is Scotch. Or were you being
ironic?

> never forget what one of england's greatest prime ministers said to a teacher,
>
>  'prepositions are something of which i know nothing of'

The way I heard it was "the rule against ending a sentence with a
preposition is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put",
attributed to Churchill.

> something of which i know plenty of is that you are wrong. i am correct.
> i proved it to another teacher in junior high. from that time forward,
> i have intentionally used term 'scotch-irish', and continue to do so.
>
> read and learn;
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots-Irish_American
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_(disambiguation)
>
> and to ensure your understanding,
>    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disambiguation
>
> ****
> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> > Yes Anne, the proper term is Scots-Irish.  We are Scots and we drink Scotch!
>
> mike, you need to check above also.
>
> i use term 'scotch-irish' to see how many 'teachers' and 'scots' are ignorant
> on subject. yes, i know i used 'scotch or irish' instead of 'scots', it was
> only as of a 'broken linking' of 'scotch-irish'.
>
> i enjoy scotch whiskey, but my favorite drink is metaxa.
>
> if unaware, please see, http://www.metaxa.com
>
> if you every have the chance to try it, please do. you will be very
> enlightened as to what greeks can do with grapes.

Timeo danaos et dona ferentes :-)

> ****
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Actually "Scotch" is legitimate English for the Scots, and may reliably
> > be used to annoy them if you feel like living dangerously :-)
>
> thank you, poc. no 'a+', but i will give you an 'a'.
>
> it is my understanding, which web had nothing to offer on subject,
> it was the scots who termed phrase to annoy and separate themselves from
> the scots-irish.

Which term do you mean? The term "Scotch" is old English (16th century
according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_(adjective)).

poc