F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:58:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:16:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:31 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >> 	When I clidk on the add/remove software launcher in the panel, I
> >> get a window way bigger than my screen -- so big that even moving it
> >> around enough to click where I need takes fancy tricks. Trying to
> >> unmaximize  is no help.
> >>
> >> 	Do I need to run system-config-display?? Other windows behave ...
> >
> > system-config-display is for configuring the display (duh ...). It's not
> > going to help make a specific window any smaller.
>
> 	I run gnome -- and, oddly enough, at times when I've had that a/
> o /etc/X11/xorg.conf fouled way up, such behavior has repeatedly been one
> of the symptoms.

A single window is too big and everything else is OK? I can understand
the screen being the wrong size, which would affect everything including
the panel etc., but not one window. The display config doesn't know
anything about windows.

If you do have the wrong screen resolution, then system-config-display
is where you fix it, but this affects everything.

> > This may be fixable through your desktop configuration controls, but you
> > don't say which dekstop you're using.
>
> 	I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?

Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely use
them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one window
then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display config.

poc