OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Aug 20 02:15:54 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Split the tar into pieces less than 2GB (with split -b), copy to a VFAT
> formatted USB drive and on the mac, cat the pieces back together to feed
> to tar.  But, if the music files have standard tags that itunes will
> recognize, I'd just copy the files themselves to a vfat drive without
> the symlink structure, drop them into itunes and let it organize them
> its own way.  You'll quickly learn to hate macs if you try to force them
> to do things your way.

I don't need to learn to hate macs (or Apple).  I bought
an iPod for my daughter a few months ago and quickly learned
what a pool of iTunes quicksand their whole business model is.

I'm buying the mac because the Conservatory "requires it."
I need the links because the music is going to be transferred
onto her iPod replace, a Cowon A3 PMP (which runs linux inside)
but the device does not deal with ID3 tags.  The link structure Dad's
"poorman" attempt to give her multiple views of the music
(by composer, by performer, etc.)
The transfer to the Mac is just an intermediate step so she
has a computer copy of the music.  She may use iTunes on it eventually,
but not for communicating with the PMP.

Dean