F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 15:13:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 14:44 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:28:12 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 19:25 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> 	[...]
> >>
> >> 	I run gnome and metacity; is that what you're asking?
> >
> > Gnome is a desktop environment, as is KDE. Metacity is a window manager
> > often used with Gnome (the equivalent in KDE is kwm). Since I rarely use
> > them that's as far as I can go, but if your problem is with one window
> > then the fix will be there if at all and not in the display config.
>
> 	I'm getting input overload on jargon here. Desktop, workspace,
> GUI, window manager, theme, appearance, background, wallpaper, ... and
> about a dozen more, all seem to have technincal meanings -- more than I
> can keep track of.
>
> 	Is a desktop environment the same as a desktop? Or what *is* a
> desktop??

Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

However for the purposes of your original question, what I was trying to
explain is that system-config-display is a relatively low-level tool
which configures the X window system to be able to put pixels on your
screen. The whole desktop/window-manager/theme etc. baggage is on top of
that, so if it's mostly working except for one specific application the
problem isn't with the display settings as such.

As others have pointed out, you can probably click-and-drag on the
window to move it around (if the title bar is offscreen for example) and
grab a corner to resize it.

poc