F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Aug 20 16:25:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:43:37 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
	[...]
>> 	I'm getting input overload on jargon here. Desktop, workspace,
>> GUI, window manager, theme, appearance, background, wallpaper, ... and
>> about a dozen more, all seem to have technincal meanings -- more than I
>> can keep track of.
>>
>> 	Is a desktop environment the same as a desktop? Or what *is* a
>> desktop??
>
> Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

	Very helpful. Many thanks!

> However for the purposes of your original question, what I was trying to
> explain is that system-config-display is a relatively low-level tool
> which configures the X window system to be able to put pixels on your
> screen. The whole desktop/window-manager/theme etc. baggage is on top of
> that, so if it's mostly working except for one specific application the
> problem isn't with the display settings as such.

	OK; I see that. Now. Thanks again!

> As others have pointed out, you can probably click-and-drag on the
> window to move it around (if the title bar is offscreen for example) and
> grab a corner to resize it.

	I had tried that, and also Resize from the Window List, before I
ever posted; neither worked. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3