Which ATI graphics card shall I choose for fedora/rhel

Steve Repo scmuser at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:40:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Kevin Martin wrote:
>>

>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Yeah, but, FWIW, it may not be valid to compare laptop chipsets with
>>> chipsets in PCIe/AGP cards.
>>>

>> I mentioned my chip primarily to highlight that the x1600 laptop chipset
>> (at least in my case) didn't work with Compiz as opposed to the posting by
>> Steve Repo about his x1400 working in a Dell laptop.
>
> Understand...  Just didn't want to confuse the OP looking for a card for his
> desktop.

I'm running radeonhd from updates-testing.

[steve at spiffy ~]$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep GLX
(==) AIGLX enabled
(==) Exporting typical set of GLX visuals
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

[steve at spiffy ~]$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep radeonhd
(II) LoadModule: "radeonhd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//radeonhd_drv.so
(II) Module radeonhd: vendor="AMD GPG"
	Fedora package xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd-1.2.1-3.7.20080724git.fc9

Steve