Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Aug 21 12:55:35 UTC 2008

I know this has been bandied about by every n00b about once every couple
of months, but hear me out.

I'm no n00b and I'm in the awkward position to try to find a potential
replacement for our Proprietary monitoring solution (SMARTS if anyone is
familiar with it.)  We run SMARTS along with Nagios and several home
grown scripts, but my boss has this itch to find something that might
potentially replace SMARTS, but give him a nice GUI to work with.

I've used Nagios and I like it.  Also BB4.  But what else is out there
that is new or relatively new, that does network monitoring and alerting?

We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface
monitoring on our core routers, etc.  WE also need something really
granular for alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with
messages at night for things that aren't critical.

Has anyone used (or is using) something not that many not be well known
but works well that they can recommend for me to take a look at?

I've googled until I'm sick of it, and nothing I've picked out really
strikes me as adequate for our needs.  So now I'm turning to the Fedora
community for ideas.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support