Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:19:29 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>

>>> We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested
>>> in something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both.
>> OpenNMS is like nagios in some ways, different in some.
>>

> Well, the OpenNMS version we have is older, and it's sitting on a Debian
> Sarge box that I want to blow away and install Fedora on.  But that's
> not the reason for the question.  We run nearly every monitoring tool
> out there, and my boss is extremely picky. He doesn't really like any of
> them completely.  They all have flaws in his mind so he wants to see
> what else might be available now, that either might not have been 4
> years ago, or has greatly improved since then.

Well, OpenNMS has certainly improved recently and is still being
developed rapidly.  Don't draw any conclusions from seeing an older
version.  Also, it is very configurable.  It does the obvious stuff out
of the box but can be extended in an assortment of ways.  Plus, if you
can use one of the packaged versions it is much easier to install than a
few years ago.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com