F9 EeePC add/remove trouble

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Thu Aug 21 20:34:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:17:25 +0930, Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 14:58 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> Now that I know the trick of dragging with the left Alt key down, I can
>> usually do *something* with gpk -- but it sure would make life a lot
>> easier to have the window fit the monitor.
>
> There's a few things you can try to make windows smaller:  Pick a
> smaller font.  Find an option for whether GUI buttons will be drawn as
> text/icon/text+icon and make them text-only.

	Hmmm ... I haven't found that yet, but I did find Screen
Resolution under Main Menu > System > Preferences > Hardware -- and oddly
enough it doesn't agree with system-config-display. It says 800x480 now,
and s-c-d Settings tab doesn't even offer that. It does have a button for
Detect Displays, which I clicked, and another for Apply, which I also
clicked; nothing changed.

	Hmmm ... Considering the effects on terminals and browsers (both
of which require my ancient eyeballs to compromise between legibility and
screen size), that makes a lot of sense. But I don't see any setting for
fonts on the gpk window; so I suppose that means changing fonts in some
other place that will affect it and maybe more. Where??

> Or you can try making the desktop bigger than the screen resolution,
> with a keyhole view of the whole thing, so that you can scroll past the
> edge and move the keyhole around.  It is rather like trying to read a
> magazine through a keyhole, and not something you'd want to do all the
> time, but useful to be able to switch modes to deal with one or two
> programs which want big GUIs.

	Double hmmm ... I don't think I quite follow. It sounds to me as
if you were describing what I do now, with your very apt keyhole analogy;
but somehow I don't believe you are.

	Are you suggesting that I run system-config-display up to its
highest offering on the settings tab, which would be 720x400??

	Or that I go to the hardware tab, switch it from "generic
crt" (where it is now, God knows why) to "generic lcd," and then run that
way up somewhere -- like 1024x768??

	Or some third thing?? Edit xorg.conf, maybe???

> I've come across one or two things that were two tall for my 800 pixel
> high laptop screen.  That's rather poor design on their behalf, it's a
> common enough screen height.

	I don't understand why none of the usual resizing methods work;
what is the actual resolution of an early EeePC, anyway? Is it way
different from the 640x350 that F9 seems in one place to think it is?
>From the 800x480 which (schizoid?) F9 seems in another place to think?
Both?? (If it can mistake what I have for a crt, it can confuse anything.)

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3